Decker Background

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Why I am Boycotting Winter.

Typically, us Minnesotans consider ourselves a hearty breed with thick skin and even thicker blood. However, this winter has been different. The winter of 2014 will be remembered as being B.R.U.T.A.L. and I have had enough! The outrageous lows that we've had this year caused us to surpass the record number of days that schools have been cancelled. (And, it takes a lot to cancel school in this state.) Personally, my cabin fever has been atrocious this year and I just can't wait to go for a nice long run on streets that are clear and ice free! But, since we can't seem to escape this deep freeze, I decided that my family will be done with winter, weather permitting or not. So, last night, we went swimming (indoors of course) and then enjoyed some ice cream. Tonight, we will have tropical smoothies after dinner while wearing Hawaiian leis. (I am now regretting getting rid of all my luau decorations last year. At least I kept a few momentos!) I think we'll try a little indoor camping this weekend and maybe ride some amusement park rides next week. Any other suggestions for enjoying "summer" while there is still snow on the ground?

Seriously, why don't we all live in Hawaii?
UPDATE 3/10/2014: So far during this "early spring", my family has gone on an indoor picnic, visited an underwater aquarium, camped in our living room, took up badminton, played at an indoor park, and had a Hawaiian luau. Unfortunately, some of our plans were slightly derailed by illness, but we have all recovered just in time for the weather to warm up! (Also, in one last winter hurrah, I took the big boys ice skating before the outdoor lake closed for the season - the ice was just awful, which is a strong indication of the thaw that we so desperately need!)

1 comment:

  1. And now...monsoon season :) Sounds like you all had fun though!

    ReplyDelete